Monday, November 25, 2013

Catch up Article (Sorry It's so Long)

After about a month of inactivity, I've finally come back. This time, I'm a certified electrician (yay!!).  And there's been a lot happening. VIXX made their comeback with a
concept that is like a million times darker than any dark concept I've seen in kpop ever.  Then there was the whole thing with Ailee's nude pictures being leaked. Girls Generation won Video of the Year at the Youtube Awards.  And how can anyone forget B-Free's blatant and rude verbal assault directed toward Suga and Rap Monster of rookie group BTS.

I guess I should just address all of these one time in one post, because otherwise I'd be beyond outdated trying to write up about them all one by one. 

1. VIXX's Comeback Concept:

The picture is just as sexy as any other kpop group's album picture, and the song itself rates only about a 3.5 on my scale.  But the music video was so disgustingly crude that I literally cringed while watching it and vowed to never watch the video again (yes, I'm a wuss lol).  But, if I were to be a hundred percent honest, I couldn't stop watching the video.  I'm not used to kpop being so gory, but VIXX pulls off the dark, creepy concept very well (which is surprising since they seem to be really dorky in real life). I still haven't watched any lives yet, but I'll watch it eventually.

2. Ailee's Nude Picture Leak:


Ailee is definitely one of my favorite female vocalists, second only to Jo Hyuna (from Urban Zakapa).  I didn't see the actual photos (not that I wanted to anyway), and I was actually shocked to know that she had them.  At first, I thought that maybe she had taken them herself and sent to a boyfriend that she later broke up with and because he was upset and wanted revenge he released the photos.  Apparently, that's what her label wanted me (and everyone else) to think as well, because they pinned it on one of the writers of Allkpop who dated Ailee in the past.  However, according to AKP, the photos were actually released by somebody who had the photos for a while and wanted them released to the public no matter what.  It was then revealed that Ailee had taken the photos because someone told her that she was going to be modeling underwear and they wanted to test the cameras by taking nude shots...and she believed them.

My first statement on this is that whoever the person(s) behind this is(are) is a complete asshole and I hope that there is some lawful punishment befitting the crime. Yes, Ailee is a celebrity, but she's a woman first and the fact that those photos got out must have embarrassed and hurt her.  It damages her image, not only as a popular singer, but also as a decent woman.  

What you will read next will probably shock or anger some of you, but this is an opinion blog, and it is my opinion.  While the person who released this picture is in the wrong, Ailee made it possible for this to happen.  To all my female readers, never EVER take nude photos if you don't want them to be released on the internet.  They say she was tricked into taking the pictures, but she should have known better than to take nude photos.  If they were testing the cameras, why would they need her to take off everything? They could do the test shots with her fully clothed.  Or in her underwear, since it was supposed to be for underwear advertising anyway.  Girls, let's learn from Ailee's mistake and not do things like that.  Also, don't send nude pics to your boyfriends, because if you two break up and end off on bad terms, he can use those same photos against you. I would advise that you don't even leave photos like that on your phone. If you lose it, or someone goes through your phone and sees it, there goes your privacy. 

3. Girls Generation wins Video of the Year at Youtube Awards

What else is there to say except Congratulations.  I personally loved both the song and the video, even though my brain was beyond confused the first time I heard it.  Either which way, I'm glad they won, even if all of my friends think it was rigged to let them win.  Sones, good job with the voting.








4. B-Free's "Curiosity" About Idol Rappers

So, there's a lot of things I can say about this guy. But since I do strive to respect everyone on this blog, I'll keep most of them to myself.  I just think it's a real immature thing to insult idol rappers because they wear make-up and wear stage costumes.  I understand that some of the idol rappers were placed as rappers because they can't sing and probably aren't good at dancing either, but look good, but have no rapping talent.  And I also understand that there are many idol rappers that don't write their own raps. 

However, there are quite a few that do have the artistic freedom and the talent to not only write their own lyrics, but also can spit lines that are hot as fire. However, it seems that his issue could also be with former underground rappers who decided to try mainstream music, which would include Suga and Rapmon (BTS), Bang Yong Guk (B.A.P) and Zico and Kyung (Block B). All of these artists have proven that they are good rappers, even great rappers. It's funny though that even though their music has now incorporated music that can be danced to (thanks to the idols need to dance on stage) and a lot of singing (because of the members who are vocalists), most have them have still managed to keep their lyrics based on the same things the underground rappers rap about.  They just do it in a more socially acceptable way (most of the time *ehem Zico). They also still release their mixtapes separate from their work as idols.

The cry rings loud that they sold out. But I don't really see it that way either.  The whole point of rap is to say what you want to say.  Underground rappers should be respected because they are actually really good, in most cases. But it seems that the issue is that idol rappers shouldn't rap about having struggles because they have company funding and they go on stage and have tens of thousands of fans and they make money and can buy houses and pay all of their bills on time.  I wonder if they realize that idols also have a hard time. They have to work  long hours, and sometimes the most sleep they get would be on car rides to and from destinations.  They are also required to always have a smile on their face as they work, no matter how miserable they may feel.  The truth of the matter is that they haven't taken the easier route, but the smarter one.  They want their voice to be heard, so they sign to a company that will fork over the money to make them successful. Most underground rappers turned idols sign contracts that give the freedom to work on their music as well (such as Zico who not only writes the lyrics but also composes most, if not all, of the groups tracks).  Now, instead of struggling to let a few hundred people hear their message, they work hard and let thousands of fans around the world hear their voices.  Sure, they may have to sing a few disgustingly sugary sweet songs...but that's a part of life too, isn't it?

Either which way, all artists deserve respect for the work they put in (assuming that they all put in work) and B-Free would do well to understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment