Monday, November 4, 2013

Netizens Verbal Attacks IMO

Recently, we've been seeing K-celebrities fighting back against spiteful netizens that go around spreading horrible rumors about them. Artists like JYJ, IU and Baek Ji Young have started to deal with these people by using the law.


Here's how I feel about the whole situation. It's beyond obvious that Baek Ji Young will win her lawsuit, and I'm beyond happy about that.  The offensive comments and rumors about her that had been posted were all regarding her miscarriage earlier this year.  Even as a woman, I can't imagine how hard it is to have lost your first child before he/she was even born.  The cruel young men even circulated pictures of her "killing a baby" and claimed that she killed her child intentionally. I've tried imagining myself in the same situation and quite frankly, I couldn't.  But it's sickening to think that somebody would actually be so heartless and could post things like that without feeling the least bit of remorse.

IU recently won her case and the guy that was spreading the rumor was sentenced to 200 hours of community service.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.  I mean, it's a quick stop, so I doubt anyone will ever spread rumors about IU again.
 I stated in an earlier post that I thought Leon Ent did a good job ignoring the rumors, but it turned out that they didn't really ignore it (or should I say IU didn't).  While I think it's a good thing that his actions didn't go unpunished, I don't think that making him do community service was necessary.  But at least that was better than him going to prison and getting fined.

JYJ's label C-JeS has decided that they will pretty much sue anybody who says anything negative about the boys in particular.  Now this may be due to the fact that there has been people who are still upset that they left SM Entertainment and DBSK all those years ago.  Once again, years of negative comments can have a devastating effect on anybody. However, as an opinion blogger, this move of dealing with anybody who says anything negative about the group kind of ties my hands.  Well, not really since I'm not based in South Korea.  Still, I think that the whole involving the law should be reserved for extreme cases where the netizens are going overboard.  Otherwise, it's just impeding on the right to freedom of speech.

It's sad though that the artists have to resort to suing people because of cruel comments that are spread.  A lot of the time, we forget that even though they're public figures, they're also humans and words can hurt them just as easily as they can hurt us. We love to scream out that we have freedom of speech without realizing that even though we are given the right to say whatever we want, we should still respect other's feelings.  While I don't think that the situation is so intense, I can understand why they'd go to this extent. Still, even though I don't think I've written anything particularly mean about any one artist (minus Clara), I'll pay particular attention when writing my opinion articles.  Me expressing my opinion isn't about hurting other people's feelings.  And while I'm at it, I hope that those people who post things with the intention of causing pain come to their senses before they have to experience something life changing like the guilt of being the cause of a suicide or seeing the inside of a court room because of their words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment