Thursday, July 12, 2018

B1A4 Jinyoung and Baro's Departure IMO

On June 30, 2018, it was revealed that Jinyoung and Baro had decided not to renew their contracts with WM Entertainment and were leaving B1A4.
This news was hard for me because I love B1A4. They are one of the only groups that I've followed since their debut. My favorite song (by them) is still found on their very first mini album. But don't worry, I didn't cry. Here's the reason why I found this group rearrangement to be problematic.

1. Jinyoung was the main artistic presence in the group. In other words, the music that made B1A4 who they were (musically) was created by him. With Jinyoung leaving the group, the music quality is currently unstable. It is possible for them to release really good music, even without Jinyoung, because of the vocal talent and skill of the remaining three members. But in order for that to happen, the music choices are going to have to be excellent. B1A4 isn't a superstar group, but they aren't a flop either. This change in member line-up puts them at a cross road. I just hope it's favorable.

2. With Baro and Jinyoung leaving, it is highly likely their fans are going to follow. We saw this happen a few years ago with MBLAQ. Even though the remaining three members attempted to continue to promote, and Seungho and Mir are still promoting and doing fan services, Joon and Thunder leaving took a toll on an already struggling group. Seeing this again, I fear that B1A4 will end up struggling even more than they were prior. 

3. Baro is not well liked by Koreans. They feel as though he is problematic - good looking, but problematic. As such, I am concerned for his career. At this point, his best bet is probably to go into modeling, clean up his image a bit and then...what? I'm not sure if he can act, and his rapping isn't good enough to be a solo act. I guess, if he wants to continue in music, he could work on improving his rapping during and after he does his military service. But even then, with the general public finding him annoying, it'll still be difficult for him to continue in an industry where the public's opinion is very important. 

To be honest, I am not even slightly worried about Jinyoung. Or the other members individually. Shinwoo has already made a name for himself with his musical acting. Sandeul is an amazing vocalist and would probably shine with ballad tracks. Gongchan...is a bit worrisome, but he can always go into modelling and, with some vocal training, do well in collaborations and probably acting in MVs/ But I would hate for their careers to take a hit if B1A4 flops after this split. 

All the same, I wish both Jinyoung and Baro the best as they pursue what it is they truly want to do at this stage in their careers. I hope everyone is successful and I'm anxiously looking forward to see what B1A4 does next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment