Thursday, February 9, 2012

5 Overrated (Mainstream) Artists

This is Part 2 to my earlier post about underrated mainstream kpop artists.
1. Hyunah (4Minute)
Yeah, she's pretty.  And she's a decent dancer (as I will say for most artists since I can't dance better than any of them).  But really, why is she so famous?  She's not a very good singer (even though it's her job to sing), and while she does write some really decent lyrics, she doesn't have much flow either.  I mean, even her company realized that and doesn't have her rap in her own/her group's songs.  She does have a stage presence, though, so that may just be why her fans tend to exaggerate her greatness.  Also, she can be sexy, at times, but sometimes, the feeling that she's trying too hard can be felt (that's when she actually tries since she's sexier when she isn't trying).  Still though, can't hate her for it (lol yes, I'm a fan) since even she admitted that she feels she's overrated. 

2. Girls Generation
Okay, so this group is super famous - for being good looking.  They do have some really nice songs, but as a singing and dance group (and this is only MY opinion) they are given so much more attention than groups that put out better music.  Once again, can't blame them too much, since I remember reading somewhere that they have very little creative freedom.  But still, I mean.  Only two of the nine can really sing. The other seven are mediocre singers (can carry a tune and have a pretty voice).  No one in the group (that I've heard so far) can rap and only one member is a really good dancer.  I remember being disappointed when I watched one of their videos for the first time.  It's actually a song that I like (Run Devil Run), but I can distinctly recall asking why the girl groups were worse than the boy groups.  They do work hard, and should be respected for that alone, but all the hype that surrounds them is extremely misleading. 

3. Kim Hyun Joong
Yes, Kim Hyun Joong makes it onto the list.  And yes, it is killing me to put him here (well not really).  I really do believe that this very sexy young man who was my ultimate bias for a little more than a year (which is spectacular since I normally can't stick that long to any one person or thing) is overrated.  Why?  First, he's a singer, but he's a mediocre singer.  It was kind of baffling to see him win an award over his group mate,friend and the obvious better singer, Heo Youngsaeng.  He also acts.  Personally, I thought he was brilliant in both of the dramas he was in, but even though my bias for him makes me think he's the best at everything, the truth is that he's not that great of an actor either.  He's very good looking, but he's not that great of a model either (due to his extreme awkward personality in front of the camera).  Get my drift?

4. Super Junior


This group is highly debatable.  But I decided to put them on the list because all their title tracks, since Sorry Sorry, sounds the same.  Sorry, Sorry, Bonamana and Mr. Simple have almost no variations in the songs.  Even A-Cha sounds the same.  Despite this, they continuously top charts (with the same songs) which aren't exactly great.  Why? Because of their hundreds of thousands of fans that support them whether or not the song is actually worth supporting.  Still, this group always has at least three amazing songs on every album, even if it isn't the title track (which was why I had to really debate placing them on this list).

5.  Yoona (Girls Generation)
Even though I've already posted SNSD as a group on the list, I had to put Yoona as an individual.  Yoona's position in Girls Generation is visual.  Now, I don't have a problem with that (even though I think more than half of the group, including Yuri, is prettier than she is). After all, L is the visual for Infinite yet he's not in my top 5 best looking members of that group. What I do have a problem with is the fact that her fans make it seem like she's the most important member of the group.  I mean, yeah, she is pretty, but big deal.  There are 8 other girls that are just as attractive as she is.  Not only that, but when it comes to musical talent, Yoona has almost none.  It seems as if her fans forget that even though she does help with the beauty of the group, she doesn't really contribute much as a singer, dancer or rapper.  If anyone deserves the hype in SNSD, I'd say Taeyeon or Jessica or Hyoyeon, because they make the biggest contributions (performance wise) and they're all just as pretty (if not prettier).


While this list could be much longer, I had to find the criteria that would make it fair.  When I do a bit more research on other artists, I'll post up the rest of this list...or at least five more artists.

5 comments:

  1. duuude I so agree on the Super Junior and Girls Generation~ and Yoona, and Hyuna.. Oookay I agree pretty much with everything you put here.

    In Super Juniors case, omg finally someone stated that! I was a huge fan of them BEFORE Sorry Sorry era. After Sorry Sorry came out, I was like "what kind of this music?" I liked them mainly for their look yes, but I am also a Korean music LISTENER, so if the group I like does not produce the music I enjoy, although that group is super attractive, I'm sorry but bye bye~! I'm not that big of your fan anymore although I may listen to a couple songs that I think are okay. All of SJ's main tracks sound just like Sorry Sorry =.= and their fans keep calling those "brilliant". Please~~~

    Girls' Generation, I'm sorry but I see a lot other Korean girl groups are waaaaaaay more talented than these dolls. I don't hate them. I do enjoy some of their songs like Mr.s Taxi, Bad Girls, Into the new world etc. but their excessive popularity due to their (fake) cuteness just... seems really awkward to me and thats why I don't call myself a fan, just some one who likes to listen to some of their songs. And don't even get me started with that girl Yoona... I don't even think she is the most attractive either. Even my bf said she is only average, not just in the group but in general. But bleh, crazy fans remain crazy fans and that is why I do not want to categorize myself as "Sone" or "Elf" or etc. just a very long time Korean music lover. (I don't even want to use the word Kpop, since a lot of the Korean songs I've loved and listened to are not really "pop" but rather ballad, rnb, and rock. But yeah~

    Thank you very much for this awesome post~! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, especially with girls generation...
    I used to think that girls generation was a pretty good band, and then suddenly their fans. No... just, the fanbase! Fans are the main reason why people become overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on 2, 4, 5- or at least I know what you mean.
    2.)Girls Generation and Yoona
    Yeah I like a few of SNSD's songs, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan because...idk they aren't that good O-o musician-wise. I think fans fell in love with their concept or something- I only ever hear pretty this and cute that and that they are popular. But I feel like their looks got them through a lot of their success, because if anything that's what fans usually compliment them on.Though they do have SOME talent.
    3. I'm not sure about his acting BUT I have noticed being attractive got him a lot of popularity- and I say this because a large amount of people will say they like Hyunjoong without having a reason like "oooh pretty, I like"
    4. I am an elf, but their songs IN GENERAL are not THAT great to the proportion of their fan numbers. But the reason a lot including me is because they have more to them- KRY can sing, EunTeukDong have a variety sense, and at least 5 are talented in dancing. I admit with their music alone (not including KRY) I may have not been an elf-but then their music led me there

    I don't know enough about 1 and Hyunjoong though, maybe Girls Generation. If you think I'm wrong about SNSD feel free to reply- not being sarcastic I WANT someone/ a sone to give me a counter argument (I feel a bit one sided)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't agree about Yoona.. She actually contributes a lot, they wouldn't be that popular if it weren't for her..Yoona is actually the #1 reason why snsd is popular if Yoona wasn't part of snsd i don't think they'd be on top .. I know shes not that good when it comes to singing but she can sing especially when she sings without aegyo..

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder...I listen to one of the few music they did...nothing impresses me...for years I was trying to find out why they 're so famous...? Is it because of the 'black ocean'...thing got them attention afterwards? Or is it because of their big company help them gain all these unrealistic votes..that those vote are mostly from their staff not for real to make illusion to audience...then gradually gain real fans??? Or this generation just like this sort of auto tone voice? Also,
    I was shocked when I saw on mnet site Kim Hyun Joong made it to the top..no.1 i can't remember singing or artist...I was really shocked lol..it's just impossible though he's good looking..
    As of hyuna, not just fans but most of the music artist also like hyuna....dk why...i never know her at first place lol

    ReplyDelete