Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Song of 2011

2011 was a year of musical genius in South Korea.  Even Girls Generation didn't do that whole cutesy one word title song that was extremely annoying yet catchy.  The rookie groups were hot (for the most part) and there was an overflow of talent in just about every sub genre of kpop.

I decided to select my favorite song(s) of 2011 and share them with whoever is interested.

1) Dear TV - Tablo
 16 lines of lyrical genius created by the genius Tablo.  The entire song is in English, but I still ended up running to the dictionary, since I didn't understand half of the words he used.  Okay, that's an exaggeration, there were only a few words.  Still though, that was my first time listening to a rap song that didn't only make me think, but also taught me new words.

2) Shouting to Memories - Jang Woo Hyuk
I fell in love with the song for a variety of reasons.  One, I could relate to the lyrics.  Two, Jo Hyuna is a vocal beast. Three, the music video was quite entertaining.  This was one of those songs where the video was just a bonus, the song itself sells.  Jang Woo Hyuk's rapping skills are quite nice, I must say, and, as I said earlier, Jo Hyuna is an amazing vocalist.

3) I Remember - Bang Yong Guk ft. Yang YoSeob
Is it obvious that I'm a sucker for good rap music?  This song took mainstream kpop hip hop to a whole new level.  I mean, the song itself is still about the regular break up, but Yong Guk adds a bit of hardcore swag to it.  And Yoseob's voice compliments the song perfectly.  The video was just badass and I am still surprised that it took so long to be banned.

4)Be My Baby- Wonder Girls
Definitely one of the better songs by a girl group this year.  The girls vocals were alright and of course, Yubin's rapping was nice.  The video reminded me a bit of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" though.  Still, it's enjoyable. Even my dad liked the song and video.

5) Going Crazy - Song Ji Eun ft Bang Yong Guk
At first, I didn't even give the song a listen.  I thought it would be the same as every song sung by a female in kpop...either pronouncing how they don't need a man, how they're so pretty, or how they're so in love.  But this one turned out to be different.  For once, the guy was completely lovestruck and the girl was tired of being stalked, which is what it should be like.  I mean, have you actually paid attention to the words of alot of these kpop songs.  They're forever watching and following people around, which is essentially stalking.  Finally, someone spoke out on it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment