Thursday, September 12, 2013

Drama Edition IMO - Ryu Shi Won


I recently came across an article that stunned me.  I mean, I was left completely speechless. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in the acting world of Korean entertainment (I've even cut back my drama watching), so when I saw this particular article, I was shocked.

Ryu Shi Won has been found guilty of illegally tracking and threatening his wife.  The couple got married in 2010 and filed for divorce March of last year (2012).  The article isn't a hundred percent clear as to whether he installed the GPS tracking system in her car/cell phone before or after they filed for divorce, but it doesn't really matter.  When she found the device, she asked him to get rid of it.  He then ranted saying that he can get people to follow her and take pictures of where she goes and what she does, and that he is not a person to mess with.  The two were unable to reach a divorce settlement, so they're still technically married and still in court trying to end their relationship.

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to laugh or cry when I read the three articles that I had to read to understand what exactly was going on. There are also accusations of him slapping her cheek, which adds domestic violence to the long list of indictments.  But that's neither here nor there.  I felt like I was watching a melodrama while reading the articles.  

I actually liked Ryu Shi Won prior to this incident.  He's definitely a decent actor and I have a thing for more mature (old) entertainers.  I just love to see them.  Seeing this nasty side to him, well, it kind of scares me.  For one, the man was stalking his wife.  He claims that he installed the tracking device for the safety of his wife (who might I add is significantly younger than he is) and his young daughter.  Yet, he threatened her when she asked him to remove it by saying he'd get people to follow her and take pictures of where she is and what she's doing. That's just creepy.   

I'm really not quite sure if there's any good in this situation at all, which is a rare occurrence since I like to see the good in people. Either Mr. Ryu is extremely obsessive and possessive or he's extremely insecure.  Then again, he could just be a total nut.  I'm kind of hoping he needs medical (psychiatric) attention, because, well, maybe then I could blame it on that and feel sorry for him and watch his dramas without cringing whenever he shows up on screen.  But that's probably not the case.  In any event, he's definitely a problem to his soon to be ex-wife and they need to do something about that.  

I can't bring myself to hate him (or anyone else for that matter) but if they were to give him a very harsh sentence, I would probably agree to it. Jail time might help him realize that it's not okay to stalk anyone, including his wife. Either which way, I don't think it'd be smart to let him continue to walk the streets without at least some type of monitoring system.  Thinking about his wife and child, they deserve to be safe and to feel safe.  

For the first time, Ryu Shi Won, I'm not able to even try and side with you.  You are a first and a hall of famer. Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment