Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Jenny Hyun (a late post, wrote it but never posted it)

Last week, a Korean-American singer/songwriter, Jenny Hyun, decided to go ham on Twitter.  Floyd Mayweather, a professional boxer, apparently offended her with a statement he made about Taiwanese basketball player, Jeremy Lin.  Basically, he said that Jeremy Lin is receiving so much recognition because he's Asian, and that Black people do the same thing all the time and are never recognized for it. Hyun, in response, made 19 tweets, 18 of which were directly attacking Black people and the last was an inconsiderate remark about the late singer, Whitney Houston.

I only just decided to write this blog post after I'd managed to contain my emotions enough to think clearly and write an entry without bashing Jenny Hyun.  You see, I'm a Black person.  Not African American, but Black (which is my ethnicity).

First off, let me say that I'm not naive enough to believe that racism has disappeared, or that people won't hate others simply because of race.  However, I would have never expected for someone who is supposed to be educated to make comments as hateful as the ones that she made.

"I know things won't change much, people don't see things in a bigger perspective than the immediate present.  They've been around so long we don't know what it's like with them not here. But imagine a world with NO BLACK PEOPLE. All the tension in every aspect of life would be drastically improved without them around.  And ONLY them. Think about all the money we would save not having to give to their never ending charities, replacing a black worker with any other race would see better efficiency, better quality work.  We don't have to tiptoe around race issues since everybody else in the world basically looks Hispanic or  Indian. You know I'm right, I know I'm right. Even THEY know I'm right.  Someone DM'd me asking me why my sudden open dislike/hatred towards blacks.  You're getting me all wrong if you think I hate black people.  My conclusion is unbiased. It's like deciding to amputate a limb from gangrene.  It has to be done, the patient will feel better afterwards. Eradication of one toxic family is exactly what this world needs. Floyd Mayweather disrespecting Jeremy Lin because he's Asian? Dude, come back when your people learn how to be human. Floyd Mayweather, your people brag about all the muscles they have except for the muscle that actually counts. #Neanderthal. Fucking idiot. You should be WORSHIPPING Asians you sub-human, ungrateful APE @FloydMayweather. Your culture is DISGUSTING, your people are equally as DISGUSTING. Disrespectful, arrogant, violent, stupid...Congratulations, YOU HAVE A BIG DICK. So do whales and elephants.  The only way Black people are able to advance in any way is through white people.  It reminds me of a little something called SLAVERY. It reminds me of a little something called LEECHING.  Also something called MOOCHING.  It reminds me of CANCER. It reminds me of the FLU. It reminds me of AIDS. So Whitney Houston was that much of a loss? Is it even worth listening to such a beautiful voice if it also comes with ALL THAT BAGGAGE?"

Normally, I don't care much for arguments over the internet. And I always call wrong, wrong.  In this situation, I believe Floyd Mayweather was actually right.  I don't know why anyone would think that he was attempting to insult Jeremy Lin because he was Asian.  He was simply stating that Jeremy Lin did something that most Asians don't, and it's the truth.  Black people are the stars of basketball, and only the very best get the awesome endorsements that Lin has been offered recently.

Now, on to her comments. I feel kind of stupid for even discussing this, since she's obviously an idiot. But honestly, I never dreamed someone of Korean descent would ever say things that she said. Reason being, we have a shared history.  Koreans were treated so horribly by other Asian countries.  They had their territories stolen, sold and fought over in the past.  You would think that that alone would be enough for some empathy. The fact that she brought slavery into the picture was just another display of ignorance.  I wonder if she realized that Blacks were made slaves because we were NOT violent, yet we were strong.  No other race could handle the beatings, the work and the climate as well as Black people could.

She commented on our intelligence, yet she either didn't know or refused to believe that the first universities were located in Africa. Egypt, one of the worlds first great cities was ruled by Black Egyptians.  Alexander the Great visited Egypt back in the day, and white people shot off the noses of the statues because the faces that they saw were those of Black descent. To this day, the pyramids, though eroded, still stand proud, declaring the genius of Black people. The Queen of Sheba was famous (even in Bible days) for her wisdom. George Washington Carver discovered the peanut and it's many uses as well as quite a few other inventions.

Black people are leaders in peaceful protests. When fighting for their rights in America, the leaders of the fight for equality all protested peacefully.  Not only did they never draw first blood, they almost never retaliated when they were attacked.  Rosa Parks was brutally beaten, just because she refused to give up her seat.  Yet, she didn't fight back.  She took the beating and then moved on with her life. She is only one of many that stood her ground firmly but peacefully. People like Mahatma Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X also prove that, unlike the stereotype so attributed to Blacks, we have a gentle nature about us, a peaceful and calm nature.

My country was also a slave country at one point.  It is now predominantly Black, and I am proud to say that we have never had any wars of our own to fight.  We gained the right of our freedom without bloodshed.  Yes, a predominantly Black country did that.

Spreading hate against a whole race just because you don't like what one person said is the epitome of ignorance. The sad part is that she must really believe the words that she said.  Words said in anger normally reflect the general attitude of the speaker.  People like her are the reason the poisonous generalizations and stereotypes continue to be spread and taught.  If you have a prejudice against an entire race or nationality, the problem probably isn't them.  It's you.  Think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment